Multichannel SMB/NFS?

BloodyIron

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2013
it.lanified.com
Hi Folks,

I suspect the devs might be able to better answer this, but here goes.

What's the current state of Multichannel support for SMB/NFS in Proxmox VE?

SMB 4.4 added an experimental version of SMB multichannel, but people have been reporting a good amount of success.

NFS 4.1 added multichannel technology too, and also success stories are there.

Now, why am I asking this at this point in time? Because it's currently looking like FreeNAS v10 is going to get support for BOTH technologies, and FreeNAS is very important to my/our infrastructure.

Proxmox VE is also important to our infrastructure, and as such multichanneling for both protocols is something we're very interested in (for different reasons for each).

Any plans for Proxmox VE to implement at least NFS multichanneling? Perhaps some hope for SMB multichanneling too? Do let me know :)

NFS 4.1 is possible, you need to mount it by hand
mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=4.1[...]
or edit a PVE file somewhere. Multipathing should work as well, you should try:
#mount the NFS4.1 shared folder on a local folder
mkdir vmimages
#Establish first connexion and session
mount -tnfs4.1 -ominorversion=1 192.168.1.3:/home/testnfs vmimages
#Agregate second connexion to the session
mount -tnfs4.1 -ominorversion=1 192.168.2.30:/home/testnfs vmimages
I don't know about SMB thoug, sorry.

Jonas

Reactions: BloodyIron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!