Multicast

ejc317

Oct 18, 2012
So when I used to do SSMPING, the server returned multicast. Now I just tested again - all of a sudden it shows unicast. However, on the switch side NOTHING has changed and in fact if you do netstat -g, it shows that it is part of a multicast group - any ideas? The switches are Brocade Fast Iron FESX-448-PREM - IP Multicast is active globally

Now I don't lose quorum (pvecm nodes) shows the right nodes. The only issue is that the node details are gone and i have to manually restart pvestatd and apache2 all the time.

One thing to note is that there are 2 proxmox clusters on this network and when 1 cluster is down the other one works without issue. This is quite strange and only started yesterday. should I have separate multicast groups for the clusters?

Interface RefCnt Group
--------------- ------ ---------------------
lo 1 all-systems.mcast.net
eth0 1 all-systems.mcast.net
eth1 1 all-systems.mcast.net
eth2 1 all-systems.mcast.net
eth3 1 all-systems.mcast.net
vmbr0 1 all-systems.mcast.net
vmbr1 1 239.192.36.60
vmbr1 1 all-systems.mcast.net

One thing to note is that there are 2 proxmox clusters on this network and when 1 cluster is down the other one works without issue. This is quite strange and only started yesterday. should I have separate multicast groups for the clusters?

Multicast address should be different if you use different cluster names. Check with

# pvecm status

One semi unrelated issue (or maybe related) - its been failing to log into 1 of our NFS share (the openfiler one) and when I removed the NFS share, the pvestatd stays up for longer ...

One semi unrelated issue (or maybe related) - its been failing to log into 1 of our NFS share (the openfiler one) and when I removed the NFS share, the pvestatd stays up for longer ...

Your storage needs to be online - else pvestatd can run into timeouts.

Your storage needs to be online - else pvestatd can run into timeouts.

I've removed the dead storage and added a 15 minute cronjob to execute across all nodes "service pvestatd restart" - this works for now ... but heh not ideal - its also run into issues with multipath

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!