Moving from Qemu KVM to Proxmox on same hardware

robb

Dec 11, 2014
Belgium
I am currently running Qemu-KVM on an Ubuntu 14.04 host. Since I don't have spare hardware, I will need to backup my current VM's to restore them on the new ProxMox environment.
I understood that in theory a KVM VM disk (either raw or qcow2) can be used as disk on ProxMox (5.2) too, so would my strategy be:
- copy the diskimages from /var/lib/libvirt/images to a safe place
- Install ProxMox VE on the server
- Copy the disk image to the ProxMox VE images directory.
- Create a VM in ProxMox using the diskimage as Vdisk.

Would this be the correct method? Do I mis some steps here?
I am currently not near the Qemu KVM server, and don't know what format the diskimages are now, but if they were not .raw or .qcow2, how should I go if they were .img? I saw some suggestions that I can just rename from .img to .raw Is that correct?

1. Backup your VM settings and your VM disk images (convert qcow to raw images)
2. Install Proxmox
3. Create VM with nearly the same settings as on Qemu-KVM (Libvirt) inclusive. disk
4. Copy content from VM disk image backup into proxmox VM disk using command:
Code:
dd if=/path/backup.raw of=/dev/mapper/pve-vm--{ID}--disk--1

5. Repeat step 3 - 4 for each backed up VM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!