[SOLVED] Moving a whole VM to another host

Alex Fuchs

Sep 27, 2016
Germany
www.thomas-krenn.com
Hello community,

I have one physical Host, on which I´ve running Proxmox VE with some VMs.
Unfortunatelly I have to disassemble this physical host this week.
So I was trying to move a whole vm-104-disk-1.qcow2-Image from one host to another earlier today.
The new host is a Proxmox VE which is already virtualized on a VMware ESXi Server (I don´t have another option at the moment).
Finally I copied the whole .qcow2-Image onto the new Proxmox´s HardDrive and moved it to it´s final path
( /var/lib/vz/images/vm-104-disk-1.qcow2 ).
But now I have the problem, that I don´t know how to mount/import/add or search for the vm-104-disk-1.qcow2-Image on the new Proxmox-Host.

Can you tell me any further steps?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards from Germany
Alexander Fuchs

* create a new VM with ID 104 on your new server with a qcow disk
* overwrite the disk in /var/lib/vz/images/104/ with your original file
* on the Web UI, go to the VM settings, the disk size is probably wrong, unplug the disk (select the disk then click on the "remove" button")
* the disk will appear as "unused", select it and add it again to your VM, it will be correctly recognized this time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!