[SOLVED] Moved hard drive to new computer case and new motherboard and now ethernet not working!

KingTChoka

Sep 4, 2021
Hi,

So I can't get any internet connection after moving my hdd (that has the proxmox OS installed) into a new computer case and now I have no internet connection.

I tried editing the /etc/network/interfaces file to match the new ethernet id (enp4s0 --> enp6s0) and after rebooting, it still didn't work.

There's no light flashing on my ethernet port, but after typing ip link set dev enp6s0 up, the light on the physical port starts flashing yellow, but there's still no internet connection.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

I tried editing the /etc/network/interfaces file to match the new ethernet id (enp4s0 --> enp6s0) and after rebooting, it still didn't work
Did you change all occurrences? Usually, you have to change it twice in the /etc/network/interfaces when only using a single NIC without bonding or vlans.
Is ip addr returning a NO_CARRIER?
Is that new mainboard very new and maybe using a NIC that isn't well supported (especially if you didn' upgraded your PVE installation for a long time)?

Last edited:
Did you change all occurrences?
What do you mean? There was only one enp6s0 interface to update in the /etc/network/interfaces file
Is ip addr returning a NO_CARRIER?
I don't believe so, ip addr shows all the interfaces including the vmbr0 which has my previous ip showing
Is that new mainboard very new
No it's a pretty old Motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3-rev-10#kf

Is there perhaps another network config file I have to update? Maybe I need to re-update the MAC-IP address on my router?

Last edited:
What do you mean? There was only one enp6s0 interface to update in the /etc/network/interfaces file
Once for the NIC and then again for the bridge where you assign the NIC too. So check that you got a "bridge-ports enp6s0" for your vmbr0 and a "iface enp6s0 inet manual" for your NIC.

And you don't up the NIC with ip link set dev enp6s0 up, you up the bridge which will then up the NIC. So if your NIC was down, you probably forget to edit the bridge and it is still using enp4s0.

Is there perhaps another network config file I have to update?
Other network related config files are "/etc/hosts", "/etc/resolv.conf" and the filewall config files in "/etc/pve/firewall/". But usually you only need to edit the "/etc/network/interfaces".

Last edited:
YES IT WORKS!!!

bridge-ports enp6s0
THIS!

Totally didn't see that! I only changed the iface enp6s0 inet manual, but after changing the bridge-ports and reboot, I finally have internet again.

Thank you!!!

Hi,

unfortunately I'm in the same situation. There's no net on my PVE after putting the SSD in a new PC, which is actually an HP ProDesk 400 G2.
After the boot I realized that the interface name changed from eno1 to enp2s0, so I edited /etc/network/interfaces to change both occuranches inet & vmbr0.
After reboot still there's no net on the PVE. Executing ip a showing both enp2s0 and vmbr0 are up, enp2s0's master is vmbr0 and vmbr0 has the desired IP address.
Booting a Debian testing installer from a USB stick and executing ip a shows the interface name is enp2s0 and it got IP from the DHCP server, so the network interface works fine.
I've found something difference, but I don't know if it counts:
Executing lsmod | grep r8169 within the Debian installer and also on my desktop PC which has the same network card leads to:
Code:
r8169                 114688  0
mdio_devres            12288  1 r8169
libphy                237568  3 r8169,mdio_devres,realtek
but on PVE shows only:
Code:
r8169                 114688  0
Tried to load mdio_devres and libphy modules manually but got "insmod: ERROR: could not load module mdio_devres: No such file or directory" error.
After that I've installed proxmox-headers-6.5.11-7-pve_6.5.11_amd64.deb via USB stick manually, but network is still unusable.

So what's next? What else can be done?

Thanks in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!