[SOLVED] Mount and Restore on different server

dthompson

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
www.digitaltransitions.ca
Hi all,

I've gone through the forum here and have not quite seen the help I am requiring.

I have a cluster with 4 pve nodes and 2 pbs nodes. 1 PBS node is onsite and 1 if offsite.

I've setup another test pve node with PVE7 and have added the offsite PBS node to it. That works perfectly fine.

However, when I try and restore one of the backups, I am getting the error:
Error: missing key - manifest was created with key 8...

What do I need to do in order to import my keys into the new PVE7 node in order to restore some of the backed up VM's onto the new node?

I went through this portion here: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#encryption

But must be missing something as I don't see what I need to do in order to have the ability to restore.

I have copied (I believe) all the files needed from the servers and placed them into ~/.config/proxmox-backup
These include the encryption-key.json fingerprints master-private.pem master-public.pem

What do I need to do in order to provide the new server a way to restore files that are encrypted.

Thank you!

Reactions: undertone2230
I answered my own question. For those in the unknow like me:

1.) Go to your Datacenter --> Storage --> PBS Storage
2.) Highlight end edit
3.) Click on the Encryption Tab
4.) Copy your exising key from /etc/pve/priv/storage/(storagename.enc) to your desktop
5.) Click the Edit existing encryption key (dangerous!)
6.) Click Up load an existing client encryption key
7.) Drag your key into the upload window (or browse to search for it)

Done. Super easy. Don't know how I missed that!!

Does the overwrite the existing encryption Key or does it just add in addition to?
I have one PBS on site at two locations. Can I have more than 1 encryption key.enc on the offsite PVE to test the restores from both remote sites?
Thank you for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!