Mount 4TB HDD / Backup of proxmox

Gothsome

Nov 13, 2015
Hello!
I have two questions:
I cant get an internal 4TB HDD (guid partition table/ext3) mounted- the first error after the mount is that i ave to specify the filesystem type- so i wrote:
mount /dev/sd1 /DaSi -t ext3
Another error follows:
Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on...
Then i tried dmesg | tail as suggested and the error says
cant find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb1

PVE 3.4

The other Question is: how do i backup the proxmox itself?
I only found backup guides for the VM.

Hello!
I have two questions:
I cant get an internal 4TB HDD (guid partition table/ext3) mounted- the first error after the mount is that i ave to specify the filesystem type- so i wrote:
mount /dev/sd1 /DaSi -t ext3
Another error follows:
Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on...
Then i tried dmesg | tail as suggested and the error says
cant find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb1
Hi,
are you sure, that you created an ext3-filesystem on your partition 1 of the 4TB-HDD?

How look the output of
Code:
parted -l
BTW. I would choose ext4 for an big filesystem.

Udo

It says Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
Hi,
perhaps forgot to create an filesystem?

What tell file?
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb1 bs=1k count=2 | file -
2+0 Datensätze ein
2+0 Datensätze aus
2048 Bytes (2,0 kB) kopiert, 0,0343255 s, 59,7 kB/s
/dev/stdin: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data, UUID=bbcc93cf-96fe-466f-8e14-1a615ca9c5ea
Udo

I formated the drive at an suse computer with partitioneer and used ext 4 this time but no success.
I tried an 500 GB harddrive and this guide, everything seems fine but after a reboot the only thing left now is an blinking _

I formated the drive at an suse computer with partitioneer and used ext 4 this time but no success.
I tried an 500 GB harddrive and this guide, everything seems fine but after a reboot the only thing left now is an blinking _
Hi,
sounds that your harddisk ordering in the bios is not right, so that the server tried to boot from the "new" hdd, which hasn't an boot-loader?!

Try to use the right hdd in the bios as boot-disk.

Udo

I have same issue - I have 2 TB drive sitting on a raid 5; i would like to use that partition as storage and shared among other nodes. Please tell me how to do it

So today i nearly cried- i manually boot from sda via BIOS and the blinking _ appears.
Then i tried to boot from the sdb which i could swear that i had formated yesterday and... the windows on sdb which should be deleted, started...
I checked the sda in my suse pc and the file system is broken-yeah.

Hi,
sounds that you create an new filesystem on sda1 - in this case it's "only" /boot from your pve-system.

So if this is the case, you need to recreate the content of /boot (kernel, initrd, grub) from an new install and you are back in live?!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!