More virtual than physical cpus

mgiammarco

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
Imagine this, I have some servers with 16 cores each and one emergency server with 4 cores.
I migrate an 8 vcpus machine to the emergency server but proxmox stops me because the virtual machine has more cores than the server.
I think the virtual machine can run, albeit at reduced performance but there are no real problems to run it anyway on the emergency server.
How can I do it in proxmox?

Thanks,
Mario

The problem here is that when running on a cpu with less cores that vcpu cores all of the virtual cores get emulated (not only some), and that's really really slow. Don't know how useable your system is with that.

It's currently hardcoded that the VM mus have the same or less vcpus, so no easy workaround.

You could patch the file/package yourself if really necessary but it's a bit an ugly way, for the sake of completnes here is the file, it's on line 2827: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-ser...8257aa408f43b251e35d5bb19933ecf;hb=HEAD#l2815

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!