Moodle Appliance

Petrus4

Feb 18, 2009
Hello I am about to build a moodle appliance:

I am looking at two possibilities:

1. installing a Ubuntu 8.04.1 minimal appliance from the templates and installing moodle on this using a package or CVS

2. creating an appliance with DAB using either Lenny or Ubuntu 8.04 also installing moodle either by using a package or CVS

I would like to go with CVS to install moodle instead of the packages since the debian/ubuntu packages don't seem to be actively updated.

I may also want this appliance to be certified.

What would you recommend for this installation?

Thanks!

2. creating an appliance with DAB using either Lenny or Ubuntu 8.04 also installing moodle either by using a package or CVS

I would like to go with CVS to install moodle instead of the packages since the debian/ubuntu packages don't seem to be actively updated.

Using 'dab' and debian packages is the preferred way.

I may also want this appliance to be certified.

Then you should use 'dab', and there must be a way to update the appliance. And you need to provide support.

- Dietmar

Using 'dab' and debian packages is the preferred way.

Then you should use 'dab', and there must be a way to update the appliance. And you need to provide support.

- Dietmar

ok I see, I am not sure if I will the person to support the moodle package as I am going for my first installation of moodle, but perhaps I will be able to find someone who can support it.

If I am not going for an appliance or template. What are the pros and cons of installing a moodle server via the proxmox-ve web management console as opposed to creating the installation with dab?

ok I see, I am not sure if I will the person to support the moodle package as I am going for my first installation of moodle, but perhaps I will be able to find someone who can support it.

If I am not going for an appliance or template. What are the pros and cons of installing a moodle server via the proxmox-ve web management console as opposed to creating the installation with dab?

1. It you want to install moodle, just do it. (create a container with a base OS template, e.g. Ubuntu 8.04 or Debian Lenny, install the moodle applications)

2. If you want to create a template (=Virtual appliance with moodle already installed and configured), just do it with dab.

3. If you want to create and CERTIFY this template, you need to use dab, provide support and maintain it.

feel free to choose!

1. It you want to install moodle, just do it. (create a container with a base OS template, e.g. Ubuntu 8.04 or Debian Lenny, install the moodle applications)

2. If you want to create a template (=Virtual appliance with moodle already installed and configured), just do it with dab.

3. If you want to create and CERTIFY this template, you need to use dab, provide support and maintain it.

feel free to choose!

Excellent! These are what I figured would be the choices, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks Tom, for spelling it out so clear for me! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!