[TUTORIAL] ML360 and Radeon RX 570 - VGA Passthrough

Oct 27, 2015
France
Server : HP ML350 G6 with 2x Xeon
GPU : Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 570 ITX 8G G5

SOLVED !!!!!! after 3 years !!!! I've tried again with different combinaison, and I can now share my solution for a Radeon RX570 :

Identify the GPU you want to passthrought (to get its ID) :
lspci -n -s 0b:00
Code:
0b:00.0 0300: 1002:67df (rev ef)
0b:00.1 0403: 1002:aaf0
Here we will take the root of the code otherwise it represent only sound of the card or only display of the card.

The VM :
#In VM.conf file choosse bios Seabios (with webUi) and Q35
Code:
machine: q35

#Add the line for the hardware passthrough you want. In WebUI it is ROM BAR ticked, other options unticked, PCIE ticked, VGA principal unticked):
hostpci0: 0b:00.0,pcie=1

#Activation of iommu and direct isolation of the card :
Code:
#nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pcie_acs_override=id:1002:67df,1002:aaf0 intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1"

This: pcie_acs_override=id:1002:67df,1002:aaf0
help to isolate GPU part from the sound part, because it seems that the sound part isn't compatible with passthrough
visible with: cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e IOM -e DMAR

#then update grub :
update-grub

#Isolate the card :
echo "options vfio-pci ids=1002:67df,1002:aaf0" > /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf

#Blacklist driver :
echo "blacklist radeon" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

#add drivers vfio :
Code:
nano /etc/modules
#add lines :
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

Reboot and then it is ok. Have a nice day !

I have a very similar GPU (same brand, name, and IDs but 4GB) and it works fine without q35 (and pcie=1) but with OVMF, including sound (without pcie_acs_override).
Please note that blacklisting the radeon driver should have no effect becasuse this card uses the amdgpu linux driver, never radeon.
Also, don't forget to run update-initramfs -u, after changing things in /etc/modprobe.d/.

Happy for you that you got it working!

Last edited:
Reactions: phguy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!