mknod fails in Alpine but not in Debian in LXC

rkk2025

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to have a small OpenVPN client in a LXC container in Proxmox. I created two privileged LXC containers, one is Alpine Linux and one is Debian 9. I added "lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:200 rwm" to the .conf file of both containers.

Once the container has started I run "mkdir -p /dev/net" and then "mknod -m 666 /dev/net/tun c 10 200" but mknod fails in the Alpine Container with the error "mknod: /dev/net/tun: Operation not permitted", while in Debian it correctly creates the file.

I double checked the LXC .conf file and both have the correct cgroup directives. Is there anything special that has to be done in Alpine Linux to run the mknod command? I even tried with "lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: a" but still the same result.

At the end of the day I'd rather have OpenVPN in the Alpine Linux container rather than the Debian one, that's why I'm trying to make it work on the Alpine Linux one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!