missing replicate feature on volume 'local-lvm:vm-1001-disk-1' (500)

Manny Vazquez

Jul 12, 2017
Miami, FL USA
Hi,

rookie here so please excuse me if the question is too obvious.

I had setup my little farm of servers (3) and they were working fine during the test but when I was getting ready to start deployment, Proxmox 5 showed up, so I scratched the whole thing and started from anew.

Now I have the 3 servers once again in a cluster, working fine, I am able to migrate VMs (while turned off) from one node to the other, and although, not the fastest, it works.

now the problem was trying to setup replication, and I keep getting an error "missing replicate feature on volume 'local-lvm:vm-1001-disk-1' (500)", the VM I am trying to replicate is at the current moment on vm2 (name of my node) (1001 because I give 1000+ numbers to my containers, 2000+ to the VMs).

I have tried searching for what I am missing but I can not find the right path to figuring it out.

I think that one of this 2 possiblities,

a) the file system I have is not compatible, here is the output of my storage.cfs file
root@vm1:/etc/pve# cat storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,backup
lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images

b) something stupid is missing that I can't find how to configure with pvesr

Please help.

Thanks, so basically I have to reinstall my nodes and in the file format select 'any' of the zfs formats or can I convert from lvm-thin to zfs?

Last edited:
Hi, I am getting the same issue (missing replicate feature on volume 'local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1' (500)) and i am using ZFS

Hi, I am getting the same issue (missing replicate feature on volume 'local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1' (500)) and i am using ZFS

Well, It is quite obvious that volume 'local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1' is not on ZFS ... (you use lvm, not zfs)

Reactions: Bart Brouwer
Hello to all,
I'm using latest 6.0.x proxmox and want to replicate lxc container but also got "No replicatable volumes found" error .
Also , GUI shows zero size for those volumes:
1567553536818.png
this lxc has been transferred with pve-zsync from the host that is not cluster member ....
Any ideas ?
Thank you very much in advance
Best regards
Tonci

Figured it out !!! :)
Subvols had not the same ID as lxc itself . As soon as corrected , subvols have become "replicatable" !

Reactions: Manny Vazquez
How can I create a ZFS storage?

I have 3 nodes but each one only has a 500GB hard drive (the same ones where the Proxmox installation was done).

How can I create a shared storage?

How can I create a ZFS storage?

I have 3 nodes but each one only has a 500GB hard drive (the same ones where the Proxmox installation was done).

How can I create a shared storage?

I have the same question, sorry i know this th is old

in proxmox zfs-concept, in general, there is no shared (nas/san) storage. vm storage is always local and "redundancy" is being achieved through scheduled zfs-storage-replication ... one of the most important condition would be that zfs-storage on every node must have the same name ...
If you've set 3 nodes up (default configuration) , then you are pretty ready to replicate your vm's across those 3 nodes

@tonci I setup two proxmox boxes and put them in a cluster (will add a third once I migrate vm's off other server that's currently running esxi) However when I try to add replication to my vm I get the error "missing replicate feature on volume 'local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0' (500)"

I believe I followed the default installation but I am not certian if I selected ZFS as the filesystem or not. As I was just using one drive I did not think it mattered so much. How do I check the file system and do I need to reinstall proxmox again?

@adaptation, lvm volumes do not have replication feature as the system told you ... VM that you want to replicate has to be put on zfs type of storage ... Since you have just one drive (per server) you will have to reinstall proxmox and choose zfs for your boot filesystem type ... or you can put another drives(s) in server and make zfs storage on top of them ( to preserve you lvm boot )

Adding drives might actually be the best solution, if you have the drives and the space.
After a few years using proxmox I find that it works best with 'many' drives

in proxmox zfs-concept, in general, there is no shared (nas/san) storage. vm storage is always local and "redundancy" is being achieved through scheduled zfs-storage-replication ... one of the most important condition would be that zfs-storage on every node must have the same name ...
If you've set 3 nodes up (default configuration) , then you are pretty ready to replicate your vm's across those 3 nodes
Hello,
You say the zfs-storage on the 3 nodes must have same name?
I have the
node1 , node2, node3 .
For now I have iscsi.share1 with zsf1.iscsi over iscsi support with big storage. I try to add zfs-storage zpool1 on all of nodes but is not work.
Can you suggest some other way ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!