Missing Feature: Restore to multiple Storage Targets

Stewge

Renowned Member
Feb 11, 2010
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this issue is known or perhaps even unintentional. However, the basic issue is that when creating a VM you can attach multiple virtual hard disks (raw/qcow2/LV) but they can be from different storage targets. However, after a backup, if you attempt to restore it, you can only choose 1 single storage target for ALL attached disk images. This is an especially large problem if the drive types differ (in particular mixing qcow2 and LV).

This is an example case:

VM100 is KVM running FreeNAS. FreeNAS requires 2 drives to operate (one dedicated 4GB+ "system" drive and one or more "Data" drives specifically for storage).
Drive 1: 8GB QCow2 format on /var/lib/vz RAID1 for minimal footprint and high backup speed. FreeNAS only uses a small amount, but there's plenty of space for plugins/etc.
Drive 2: 100GB LVM attached to separate dedicated RAID5 storage to act as the shared data.

When backed up you get your tar.gz which contains the qemu conf file which maintains the "original" storage locations it came from.

However, when you then restore the tarball through either commandline or GUI, you only have the option of selecting 1 storage target.
So in the example case, on restore you'll either end up with 2 drive images on /var/lib/vz, or the 8GB qcow2 image will end up as an LV. I believe qmrestore will also assume RAW if it is restoring to a directory, even if the original drive was LV.

Are there plans to correct this? I can see how this could be a problem however, as the Restore dialog essentially isn't aware of how many drive images are contained in the tarball until AFTER it has begun extracting.
Either way it would be nice to have the functionality as it essentially means any restores of these types of VM have to be done by hand which is very painful. Taking the example case, I would have to untar the backup file to a temporary location, move the qcow2 image to the proper location, copy the qemu conf, DD the "Drive 2.raw" -> Volume Group, then run.

What would be great, is if the restore function pre-read the qemu conf file, then listed each drive image and allowed you to select a restore location for each. Qcow/VMDK would be limited to a directory store, RAW/LVM could restore to any.

What would be great, is if the restore function pre-read the qemu conf file, then listed each drive image and allowed you to select a restore location for each. Qcow/VMDK would be limited to a directory store, RAW/LVM could restore to any.

I currently rework the backup/restore code. But this is much work and will take some time ...

Is this possible yet?

I have a VM with both SSD & HDD volumes.

I'd hate to have to exclude the HDD volumes from backups.

I currently rework the backup/restore code. But this is much work and will take some time ...

Hi Dietmar

Since much time ago that i want to have in the PVE GUI a "wizard" that helps to restore the VMs, but in the format of virtual disk that i want, and in storage where I want it to be, and all these for each virtual disk of the VM in question.

If you can do it, will be really fantastic, i guess that many people (i included) will saving much time if we have this feature included in the restore option.

Any way, i think that you and your developers team are doing a excellent work, so i only can say "many thanks for do of PVE a great product"

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!