Minimizing writes to USB device the system's installed on

PMoxSudo

Jan 27, 2016
Hello,

I run Proxmox on a hp g8 microserver(ms) at home for personal use.

Debian was installed on a usb3 device in the internal usb 2 port.

The reason I had to go with the USB solution was that I don't have a spare ssd for OS installation and the onboard sata/raid card wasn't recognizing my wd reds, so had to plug the 4 bay thingie into a flashed dell h200.

The ms has two wd reds in software raid 1, mounted at /home.

I've formerly encountered heavy IO wait times due to everything except for /home being on the usb.

I've finally managed to move /var and /usr to /home/{var,usr} and symlinked them right.

So far this has reduced the visible IO wait time from 10-40% to 1-2%.

Anything else that should be moved to /home to further reduce the IO wait times I'm currently having? Maybe /etc/pve?

I know this isn't supported etc etc, I'm just asking for opinions here.

Why don't you reinstall on the two disks with ZFS? This will solve your problems, is supported (and therefore a ton of documentation available) and you remove your single point of failure.

... and yes ... I read "personal use", but if you usb stick dies you will loose your OS and you configuration files (if they are not backed up). You already have a working software raid, so use it for everything. PVE is not that big, so you'll not "waste" a lot of space.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!