Minimal Ubuntu, on public clouds

I come back with more info.

You can install the LXC Ubuntu 16.04 like this:
Code:
cd /var/lib/vz/template/cache
wget http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/minimal/releases/xenial/release/ubuntu-16.04-minimal-cloudimg-amd64-root.tar.gz
mv ./ubuntu-16.04-minimal-cloudimg-amd64-root.tar.gz ./ubuntu-16.04-minimal_16.04-1_amd64.tar.gz

As a general info, if I do a 'df -h' in minimal vs standard ubuntu I get: 219Mb used in minimal vs 335Mb in standard. Debian 9 standard is 338Mb.

I don't know how to generate the 18.04 image because there is no root.tar.gz file for it.

Rares

Anyways, removing arbitrary content does not make sense for fully functional system containers ...

I've been making LXC templates for Proxmox based off of Ubuntu Base. After adding in systemd (some kind of init is needed) and a couple other base packages the template's tarball comes in at ~36 MB. Expanded, this container takes ~155 MB of disk space. Running at idle, only a few MB RAM and virtually no CPU are taken.

LXC 3.0's distrobuilder is apparently able to create templates based on Ubuntu Base, but I've not tried it yet (mainly because I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Ubuntu repos).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!