- Jun 17, 2014
Today I succeed to run Mac OS X 10.9.2 under Proxmox 3.3.
- You need Intel Core2Duo or later Intel's CPU.
- Read carefully this post. I won't explain things explained there.
- Install OSX into virtual hdd as described in link above, and copy file with hdd image to proxmox server.
- Create new VM with options:
- OS type: other
- Harddisk: IDE
- CPU: 1 socket, 1 core, type: core2duo
- Ethernet: virtio
- Use tablet for pointer: no (optional)
- Open VM config in editor and do the following:
- Remove option smbios1.
- Add option args (in one line):
args: -device ahci,id=ide -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" -kernel /var/lib/vz/images/122/chameleon_svn2360_boot -smbios type=2 -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35.cfg -device usb-mouse,id=mouse,bus=ehci.0,port=2 -device usb-kbd,id=keyboard,bus=ehci.0,port=3 -machine q35
- To run OSX without additional patches for qemu or linux we need Proxmox 3.3 because it has qemu 2.1 and appropriately patched kernel, both 2.6.32-32 or 3.10 are okay.
- You may try to run OSX it on AMD which supports all SSE instruction sets, but you need to find the way to set CPU suboption vendor=GenuineIntel.
- USB tablet is not supported by OSX, neither PS/2 mouse nor PS/2 keyboard, so you need to tell kvm to emulate usb mouse and keyboard.
- Don't set machine type to q35 in web gui, because PVE will path option -readconfig after options defined in args, but we need usb bus defined before definition of usb mouse and keyboard, so I use workaround with setting -machine and -readconfig in args.
- If you wan't to install OSX under Proxmox, not on you local machine you should define CD in args, not in web gui, because chameleon dislikes ide-cdrom. Use the definition from link above.
- I'm unable to run it on SMP/multicore machine, kernel locks with message that it can't initialize CPU1, need to dig dipper.