Migration lvm->qcow2 and local to nfs-storge

ulus

Mar 6, 2013
Hello,

my environment: 5 Server with actual community version installed, live migration works with shared NFS-Storage. Some VM use local LVM storage.
Goal: consolidate to 3 Server, filly shared storage in use.
Problem: convert from LVM volumes to nfs/qcow2 doesn't work

If I use the GUI "Move Disk" I run into timeout trouble -> Image is converted (takes some time), VM.conf is not updated.
So I've converted logical volume manually, copy qcow2 image into place and edited VM.conf
-> VM starts up, image on nfs-storage is in use. Checked it by renaming image file.

Migration on- or offline fails in this situation with concerns about local storage.
Do I need to restart one or more daemons?

Best Regards
Gerd

Hello Gerd,
If I use the GUI "Move Disk" I run into timeout trouble -> Image is converted (takes some time), VM.conf is not updated.

What does it mean "timeout trouble"?

So I've converted logical volume manually, copy qcow2 image into place and edited VM.conf

Should also work - still a problem?
Migration on- or offline fails in this situation with concerns about local storage.

Online is not possible for local storage

What fails in case of Offline?

I think after you had moved the stored as described above to NFS there is no local storage any more.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Thx for your answer and sorry for beeing late.

Trouble was caused by gluster backend. Had to change xfs mount options. Found it in an other thread regarding gluster.
"Move Disk" works like a charm now. Migration too, but do not use "unsed disk" in your configuration witk local LVM ;).

Best Regards
Gerd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!