Migration, If I Execute the mergeide.reg, can that slow donw my physical server ?

B

bougui

Hi all,

I just try a physical to KVM migration which has failed.

1) Now I'm still on the physical server but with the mergeid.reg apply should I roll back this, or this wont affect my physical W2k3 server ? Any way to easily roll back this ? Because after rebooting my source server, it seem slower than before ...

2) In the MS Kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us it tell to copy files around do we need to do this also or just apply the new reg values to the source server.

3) I followed the clonezilla way to migrate an HP dl G4 2 X Pentium D CPU to a KVM vm., The HP has 2 disk in 1 mirror but clonezilla was seeing both drive maybe thats why the migration did not work.

What I did:

boot the physical and start Clonezilla and from the target VM I was able to clone zilla both partition from the source server.

But Just when I start that VM I see a Window 2003 screen and then the BSOD and no time to grab the error message and the VM reset. On the VM if i boot the clonezilla CD I can see my data on the partition if I mount them manually so tha data is there ...

4) I thnik I will try with the SelImage tool I found the v 121 on the net is this still a valid way off migrating a w2k3 SP2 Physical sserver ?

Any advice would be very apprecaited.

Thanks.

AFAIK the mergeide.reg forces the server to load generic IDE drivers, these will work but wont be as fast as the 'official' drivers for your hardware.

Sounds like you have a software RAID rather than a hardware RAID, try imaging again but only image one of your HDDs from the mirrored array.

I've not had any issues using clonezilla for p2v.

Hi,

this sould be mention in the doc that when you appli the reg values that you will loose speed on the source host if that's the case ....

Also it should point us on how to backup and restore reg valuies in case we dont move to the Virtual machine.

Also to note, not this is not a software raid it is hardware but, the raid controller card is probably not supported by Linux that is why Linux dont see the mirror device but see the two disk.

Anyother member has used the SelfImage tool ?

Maybe I sould boot the VM with a windows Disk to try to repair the install ? But I'm no Windows expert.

Thanks

AFAIK the mergeide.reg forces the server to load generic IDE drivers, these will work but wont be as fast as the 'official' drivers for your hardware.

Sounds like you have a software RAID rather than a hardware RAID, try imaging again but only image one of your HDDs from the mirrored array.

I've not had any issues using clonezilla for p2v.

looks like you use softraid which is not supported by clonezilla.

no idea which clone tool supports your soft raid but maybe Acronis can do the job.

Hi Tom,

yes acronis is a nice peice of software.

Now back to the registry modification should this affect the source HOST speed or this is just an add on W2k3

Those cheap raid card from HP or Dell are supposed to be hardware raid but in the end never well supported in Linux.

Thanks

looks like you use softraid which is not supported by clonezilla.

no idea which clone tool supports your soft raid but maybe Acronis can do the job.

do you have any details on the RAID card?

Hi sorry no,

Its on an HP ML 320 G4 I think, in the windows Harware tab is only seen as an adaptec card no model.

But I know that the lower end HP or Dell raid are not supported in linux we need to by H700 for Dell to be well supported.

The perfromance seem normal on the old HOSt even with the registry applied.

Any good or bad experience with the vmware p2c assitant ?

Thanks

Bye

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!