Migration/HA issues

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
Hey all having some issues with Live migration. I can live migrate hosts which are not HA. As soon as I add them to the HA config the migration just hangs.

Seems like its working just not the same output as I am used to seeing. Without HA I physically see the host being transferred. With HA it just hangs for awhile then reports success.

Executing HA migrate for VM 101 to node proxmox1
Trying to migrate pvevm:101 to proxmox1...Success
TASK OK

Never mind looks like its failing now with the following error.

Trying to migrate pvevm:101 to proxmox1...Temporary failure; try again
TASK ERROR: command 'clusvcadm -M pvevm:101 -m proxmox1' failed: exit code 250

Seems the VM crashed after the first migrate?

The VM was locked up, once I got it restarted migration worked once. Now it is failing again with the same error, only this time the VM is not locked up.

On a side not is there any way to force a virtual machine off. For this situation I hit stop over and over but it wouldn't kill the VM. I am almost positive there is a force off option in KVM as I used it before and it always works great. In proxmox if the VM is in any kind of locked up state "stop" does nothing. It will stop the VM though if all is well and it booted properly.

Last edited:
I am almost positive there is a force off option in KVM as I used it before and it always works great.

The stop command even send a 'kill -9' if nothing help, so that should really stop the VM. Do you have some test case to reproduce that behavior?

The stop command even send a 'kill -9' if nothing help, so that should really stop the VM. Do you have some test case to reproduce that behavior?

Not sure why I didn't think of that :)

This is very odd but it only seems to happen with VM 100. I can delete the VM reinstall migrate once and then I hit the error from above. All other VM's are fine and migrate as they should.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!