Migration from 1.9 to 2.0 : LVM and local storage messed up ?

galphanet

Jun 18, 2009
Hello,

I installed some servers from scratch on PVE 2.0 and upgraded some others.

On the new installed 2.0, /var/lib/vz is on a dedicated partition and there is no space left on LVM.
On the upgraded 2.0 /var/lib/vz is a directory on the root partition and VM disks are on LVM.

As I read, LVM is a better storage solution, so why 2.0 new installations doesn't use LVM ?

And I tried to migrate a VM to an upgraded 2.0 with LVM as the primary Images storage but rsync stores the image in /var/lib/vz why ?
As I have a small root partition (10 Gb), I cannot migrate my VMs...

How to store everything on the LVM and keep migration ?

Thanks you !

Hello,

I installed some servers from scratch on PVE 2.0 and upgraded some others.

On the new installed 2.0, /var/lib/vz is on a dedicated partition and there is no space left on LVM.
On the upgraded 2.0 /var/lib/vz is a directory on the root partition and VM disks are on LVM.

As I read, LVM is a better storage solution, so why 2.0 new installations doesn't use LVM ?

all Proxmox VE uses LVM. the 'data' volume is formated as ext3 or ext4, mounted on /var/lib/vz. Container cannot use LVM, so the default setup needs a filesystem. but you are fully flexible, change all this according to your needs.

And I tried to migrate a VM to an upgraded 2.0 with LVM as the primary Images storage but rsync stores the image in /var/lib/vz why ?
As I have a small root partition (10 Gb), I cannot migrate my VMs...

How to store everything on the LVM and keep migration ?

Thanks you !

Pls explain exactly what you want to do here. Do you migrate in a cluster or do you backup/restore?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your fast reply.

Ok now I understand the partition scheme.

My problem with migration in a cluster is that if I migrate a VM to an 2.0 upgraded server, it will try to store disks in /var/lib/vz and not in the LVM.
I unchecked "Images" in the "local" storage and activated it in LVM on the destination server but it doesn't seem to consider it while migrating VMs.

Thanks you for your support !

still unclear to me. explain your system in detail and your migration idea.

Ok.

I have 2 servers with the same disk configuration :

/ 20 Gb (ISO, Containers, Templates)
VG 900Gb (Images)

When I do an (offline) migration from one to the other, it tries to store the disk image on / and not on the VG.
Why ?

Thanks you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!