migrating non-shared storage ZFS-backed VM

vkhera

Feb 24, 2015
Maryland, USA
If I make a VM and have the virtual drive on storage "local" as a qcow2 file, proxmox ve 4 beta will permit me to migrate the VM from node 1 to node 2. I only care to do this with the machines off, but if it works while running, that's an added bonus.

If I make the VM with virtual drive on non-shared ZFS storage "pve1-zfs" on node1, it will not let me migrate to node 2 because storage "pve1-zfs" does not exist on node 2. On node 2 I named the ZFS storage "pve2-zfs".

My question is: does the migration fail because it is on ZFS, or does it fail because I need to name my ZFS storage identically on both nodes? Also, if it is supposed to work, will it use zfs send/receive to efficiently (and optimally) copy the virtual drives or will it still use scp?

I did a test making a new ZFS storage with the same name on both nodes and it allows me to migrate, however it fails with this error:

Code:
Aug 25 13:18:38 starting migration of VM 100 to node 'pve2' (192.168.7.17)
Aug 25 13:18:38 copying disk images
send from @ to rpool/vm-100-disk-1@__migration__ estimated size is 30K
total estimated size is 30K
TIME        SENT   SNAPSHOT
Aug 25 13:18:38 ERROR: Failed to sync data - unable to parse zfs volume name 'rpool/vm-100-disk-1'
Aug 25 13:18:38 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
Aug 25 13:18:38 ERROR: found stale volume copy 'zfstest:vm-100-disk-1' on node 'pve2'
Aug 25 13:18:38 ERROR: found stale volume copy 'zfstest:rpool/vm-100-disk-1' on node 'pve2'
Aug 25 13:18:38 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:01): Failed to sync data - unable to parse zfs volume name 'rpool/vm-100-disk-1'
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

[code]

and leaves a vm-100-disk-1 zvol on node pve2.

I will name all my ZFS storage the same on all nodes to permit migrations to succeed, but there still seems to be a bug here.

Currently it's not possible in proxmox,

but technically it's possible to implement live migration + storage migration at the same time.

I would like to implement it, but I think it'll be too short for proxmox 4.0.

If I do it with a QCOW disk image stored on "local" storage, it does what is necessary and copies the disk image.

When I try the same with a ZFS backed zvol image, it seems to fail as above after taking a __migration__ ZFS snapshot on the ZVOL, then failing to do the send/recv to the other node. The ZVOL is created on the other node but seems to be empty.

I consider this a bug with the ZFS storage.

The workaround is to do a backup/restore, but then the UUID changes, and I have to do two copies over the network instead of just one.

Whether the VM is stopped or not does not matter. You cannot migrate a VM without shared storage.

This is the second time you've said this, and this is the second time I'm telling you that it does work for file-based VMs as long as the storage on both nodes is the same name (and I presume type). I don't know why you don't believe me, so I made a video to show you: https://youtu.be/hM00qBIOQc4
It only fails on the ZFS based VM disk images, and when you inspect the system you can see evidence of it having tried to make a copy using a ZFS snapshot, send + receive, so that is why I say there is a bug with that feature.

Hi,
this is fixed, but it takes a few days till it is available in the testing repo.

If I do it with a QCOW disk image stored on "local" storage, it does what is necessary and copies the disk image.

When I try the same with a ZFS backed zvol image, it seems to fail as above after taking a __migration__ ZFS snapshot on the ZVOL, then failing to do the send/recv to the other node. The ZVOL is created on the other node but seems to be empty.

I consider this a bug with the ZFS storage.

The workaround is to do a backup/restore, but then the UUID changes, and I have to do two copies over the network instead of just one.

What about if your disk image isn't a zvol, but just a raw or qcow2 image that is stored in a zfs filesystem directory, does that work just like non-zfs local storage?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!