Migrating lab from vmware workstation to proxmox

acidrop

Renowned Member
Jul 17, 2012
Hello

I have a i7 box with 16gb ram and 2x160ssd currently running ubuntu x64 desktop+vmware workstation as test lab for different kinds of vms.
I want to migrate this box to Debian + PVE.
My questions are:
1. Can I use existing vmdk disks to proxmox or should I convert them to qcow format?
2. On ubuntu I have utilized linux raid for 2 ssd disks.Can I do the same with Debian + PVE?
3. Can I use nested vms inside proxmox so I can test hypervisors like esxi,hyperv etc?
4. Will I have any noticeable performance gain by doing this change?

Sent from my GT-I8160P using Tapatalk 2

1. Can I use existing vmdk disks to proxmox or should I convert them to qcow format?
Yes, but with qcow2 you will can make snapshots, faster backup of VMs, enlarge the disks of the VMs in hot , etc.

2. On ubuntu I have utilized linux raid for 2 ssd disks.Can I do the same with Debian + PVE?
Yes, for Debian + PVE and PVE only from the iso installer, but in this last will be more difficult for do it if you are a rookie.

3. Can I use nested vms inside proxmox so I can test hypervisors like esxi,hyperv etc?
Yes

4. Will I have any noticeable performance gain by doing this change?
Yes, but for your VMs the best practice is to use Virtio Devices for Virtual disks and Virtual NICs, with these you gain the best performance, and will be much fast that VMware workstation. PVE only is comparable with VMware esx enterprise and not for use as a workstation, i use only PVE (without Debian, using the iso installer) since many years ago for get the better performance and not have others process running that reduces the general performance and consume memory RAM

Proxmox is rich in features of enterprise class as high availability of VMs and CTs, hot migration and hot backup of VMs and CTs, etc., like VMware ESX enterprise.

Yes, with limitations: see also my experiences on this reported here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization

Marco

Thank you!

I've already migrated to proxmox (on debian wheezy) and everything is working smoothly.
I'm using proxmox for some vms that I need performance and I have also kept vmware workstation on the same machine as test lab for nested vms as it has better performance on that than proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!