Migrating from KVM to Proxmox - "VolGroup00 not found" and kernel panic

f.somenzi

Mar 15, 2021
Hi everyone. I'm new in the forum and very low experienced in VMs in general.
I am trying to migrate an operational virtual machine running an old release of Centos (kernel 2.6.9-89 EL) in a KVM environment, to Proxmox.
I took the .img file from the source server, copied in proxmox and imported to local-lvm using the "qm importdisk" command. I managed to set it as bootdisk. Once started, it goes to "kernel panic" because it doesn't find "VolGroup00". You can find attached the error.
What should I do to overcome this error?
Thank you

Attachments

• kernel_panic.jpg
    kernel_panic.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 11
looks like you changed the disk bus (scsi, ide, sata)?

=> use the same configuration on your Proxmox VE VM config and I assume you can boot.

(such issues does not exists on newer Linux distribution)

Reactions: f.somenzi
looks like you changed the disk bus (scsi, ide, sata)?

=> use the same configuration on your Proxmox VE VM config and I assume you can boot.

(such issues does not exists on newer Linux distribution)
Yes, you were right. I changed the disk bus to ide0 and it started correctly.
The problem now is that the X server, the desktop environment doesn't start correctly. It generates an error. I will try to go deep into it. Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!