Migrating a Physical Server to Virtual Server

IanCH

Jun 6, 2017
Hi

I have a single physical server running Windows 2012 R2 as a Domain Controller and Exchange Server 2016.

I need to migrate it to a temporary proxmox 5.2 hypervisor and test as fully working.
Then I need to destroy the current physical server and install proxmox 5.2 on that bare metal.
Then move the VM from the temp server to the final proxmox 5.2 server.

I'm happy with the last part. I.e. connecting the two proxmox hypervisors in a cluster and moving the VM over to the final destination and then remove the temp from the cluster.

The bit I need pointing in the right direction with (especially as this is a production server) is the migration from a PM to VM using Proxmox 5.2.

Some of the articles seem to be dated and for older versions of Proxmox. For example they refer to the disk images as qcow files when on my Proxmox 5.2 they are logical volumes (lv). One article refers to using an application called selfimage, but that's old and support for it stopped at Windows Vista, and this Windows 2012 R2

Of course there is the added concern this is a AD controller and also running Exchange.

I'm after pointers or better still a step-by-step on migrating a Physical Machine (PM) Windows 2012R2 ADDC to Proxmox 5.2 VM.

Many thanks in advance.

I am the guy with anyone name ;)

Some recommendations before you will go to the PMX :

Make a test pmx server. Then try to do some tests with him: VM, storage, backup and restore, neworking and so on (lvm and zfs).
Take your time and document your experience (what you do, what it was ok and what it was bad). Also try to recover your proxmox server, disks and other bad events.
I have do this for about 6 month(but I have experience with linux/debian)
Then after your test period, you can go to the real life .... Your first step to try is to make a clone of your bare metal and wonderful win server. One option is to use clonezilla, or anything other tool who can do this job. Then you must create a new VM that will be used as windows guest. After this step you will need to restore your win clone image in this VM.
It is a easy process if you know the wright steps. Even if you are win-centric admin you will need to know to recover your broken server using another hardware sarver.
You can also test this steps using a win xxx real worstation on a VM in proxmox. It will be the same for win 2012 r2 or whatever OS.
And the last note, inform yourself about licensed problem (bare-metal to VM).

Good luck!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!