migrated Windows 10 guest starts only 1 time

Jan Novak

Jun 28, 2016
Hi Forum,

I had migrated a windows 10 guest from hyper-v, vhdx->vhd-> qcow2 (or raw. same result).
in proxmox i set the BIOS to ovmf (without that, the vm don't boot (or find) the Disk).

At the first start, windows is booting and running well without problems.

After a reboot, Windows boots always in the repair mode. I cannot continue to boot it up or to repair it with the repair options.
The log tells me "Der Startmanager konnte das Ladeprogramm für das Betriebssystem nicht finden" ~ "The boot manager could not find the loader program for the operating system".

I have try some ufei bios options or other controller options, no result.
The VM also does not boot the HD with other proxmox options then IDE.

Jan

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for your hint.
if i boot with seabios from Windows10 DVD Iso, then the installer starts but the (qcow) harddisc will not be found - i have also try to seach then for drivers at the proxmox iso with virt io - no one found).

If i boot with uefi bios, then the windows installer doesent start, the system cannot boot from DVD. I get this error:
Code:
Windows bot manager
Windows failed to start ... (blah blah)
File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.
ESC=UEFI Firmware settings

This looks not like, that the windows installer has start, it seems to be the output of the UEFI Bios.

So... this system cannot boot a windows10? (i have at home another proxmox system and it rund windows10 without problems!).

Jan

OK, first problem is solved: i can start now from CD with uefi Bios enabled. The cd was broken :-( But the problem with the VM still exists.
After a first run the machine loops always to the "repair" option at boot.

Jan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!