memory ballooning in windows 2003r2 x86 guest

RodinM

Aug 1, 2011
Hi,
Has anyone have success installing virtio balloon drivers in windows 2003 guest?
I set up the machine according to this article
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Dynamic...uto-Ballooning_on_Windows_2003_.2F_Windows_Xp
I first tried installing the balloon driver using the devcon utility as it was described on the same article, but all I got was the BSOD.
Then I installed the driver on the windows 2003 guest using the procedure for windows 2008R2 (I found the unknown "PCI Device" in the device manager and installed the driver for it, pointing to the virtio-cdrom) and installed the balloon service accordingly.
But the driver doesn't work. It shows 0 MB RAM being used in the web gui when the VM is running. The balloon service is running. The Virtio Balloon driver shows in the device manager that it is OK.
The same works well on windows 2008r2 guests.

Here is the screen with the current situation in the guest and what the proxmox console is showing:
1.png2.png

Not going to say that this is your specific problem, but it might be worth looking at.

I noticed that if I install a 32 bit OS on a proxmox default (kvm64) and then later tried to install the balloon driver that the driver installer would pull the 64 bit one, guess it was looking further than just the OS ver install. Now what I seemed to figure is that this was not an issue till the balloon option became available. I just had to make the cpu type (64/32) match between proxmox and the guest os.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!