Manually delete old nodes from cluster?

lastb0isct

Dec 29, 2015
I remember doing this in the past, but can't quite find where I found how to do this. I know there was some conf file that i could go to to delete old nodes from and upon reboot they wouldn't show up in the GUI anymore.

Essentially the node is not in quorum anymore with my cluster and I would just like to remove it from the GUI, so it is clean.

Also, is there a process to destroy a cluster but keep the local proxmox operational? I'm attempting to go down to a one system "cluster" from a four system cluster.

Yes, but the nodes that I am attempting to remove are not in quorum anymore. They aren't able to communicate with the cluster anymore...

So, issue is now that I can't delete the nodes because the cluster is not in quorum without 3 nodes up.

I have the following output with pvecm status:

Code:
root@pve:~# pvecm status
Quorum information
------------------
Date:             Sat Aug 27 12:30:08 2016
Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
Nodes:            3
Node ID:          0x00000002
Ring ID:          720
Quorate:          Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   4
Highest expected: 4
Total votes:      3
Quorum:           3
Flags:            Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
0x00000002          1 192.168.1.30 (local)
0x00000003          1 192.168.1.42
0x00000001          1 192.168.1.44

Above i mentioned that the 4th node I'm unable to get in quorum anymore. So for some reason my quorum is set to 3, when I believe it should be 2. I'm unable to delete any nodes because when I attempt to it gives me an error saying i'm not in quorum when I shut down one of the nodes.

Essentially I want 192.168.1.30 to be the ONLY node within this cluster so I can add another redundant node after that.

Can I manually delete the fourth node within the corosync.conf? And if i do that will the quorum automatically adjust to only 2 nodes required after that?

Last edited:
I just read Proxmox's wiki article about deleting node from cluster, have you read this note?

ATTENTION: as said above, it is very important to power off the node before removal, and make sure that it will not power on again (in the network) as it is.

If you power on the node as it is, your cluster will be screwed up and it could be difficult to restore a clean cluster state.

I ever delete a node using delnode command. After deletion, I kill pve-cluster, rgmanager (if you use HA), and cman on deleted node.

About forcing quorum to be one, is command "pvecm expected 1" still exist on Proxmox 4.x? I use Proxmox 3.x to do all the thing.

I did see those notes. Only problem is that if i do poweroff before removal i'm not in quorum anymore so I am stuck not being able to remove the node.

Would be great if that command works. Scared to try it without confirmation

Okay, so just for anyone else that wants to solve it.

"pvecm e 1" worked to create a quorum and delete all nodes that were and even werent listed. I went into /etc/pve/nodes and found that there were a LOT of extra nodes in there that I had previously added, but hadn't been properly removed. I did a "pvecm delnode *nameofnode*" for each of them and had to do a pvecm e 1 after each node delete to have the quorum reset.

This definitely is a janky way of doing it, and I know its because I was new to proxmox when i first set this up. Luckily everything worked out for me!

Reactions: newuser14
I know this is a little old but just to confirm with my experience:
"pvecm delnode *nameofnode*" removed the node from corosync.conf and from the GUI.
I had been trying "pvecm delnode *idofnode*" which wasn't doing anything for me.
I had already done "pvecm expected 3" to correct the quorum numbers so I can't confirm if the correct use of "delnode" would have also corrected this.

Can anyone double confirm that "pvecm expected 1" works for this?
I confirm yes ,
here is my console output if it can help someone

Code:
root@proxmox:~# pvecm  expected 1
root@proxmox:~# cd /etc/pve/nodes
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/nodes# ls
dell  proxmox
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/nodes# pvecm  delnode dell
Could not kill node (error = CS_ERR_NOT_EXIST)
Killing node 2
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/nodes# ls
proxmox

now go back to Web gui and refresh F5 and voila !

Reactions: RobertC85

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!