Management and compute - co-hosting

blackberet

May 23, 2017
Hello. I realize that at least 3 nodes are needed for a VM HA cluster. My question is whether 3 compute nodes + at least 1 management/control node are required in an HA setup, or is it possible for management and compute to be co-hosted on the same node/s?

PVE doesn't have a split between management and compute nodes - every node is automatically both.

I would recommend reading our Admin Guide, chapters 5, 6 and especially 12 ;)

Footnote on this thread, for what it is worth. "3 nodes" can mean, 2 x beefy nodes that actually do stuff, and 1 x node which does not really do anything much other than 'be alive and act as the tie-breaker'. So 2 x boxes with 512gigs ram and 64 cores each. Then one box single-core and 2gb ram. Bouf, a '3 node cluster'. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!