Manage VLAN directly inside the VM

mcmyst

Dec 12, 2012
Hello,

I am new in this forum and I have already looked at many posts about VLANs but I cannot find the answer to my question.
I am using proxmox 2.2 to create some KVM guest.

I would like to manage the VLAN inside my VM without having to create a bridge for each VLAN.

Is it possible to forward all the vlan to one bridge on the host, and then bridge my VMs on this bridge ? In this way I would be able to create my tagged interface inside the VM without doing anything on the hosts by adding eth0.VLANID in the gest network file : /etc/network/interfaces.

Here is what I would like to do:
Host:
- eth0 : bridged to vmbr0 for host management (not tagged) --> DONE
- eth1 : bridged to vmbr1 (or something else) forwarding all vlan. Then I would bridge my KVM on this trunk bridge and manage my tagged interface inside the guests. --> NOT DONE

Any help is appreciated

Not really, beacause when I do that, my VM is in access mode.
What I want to do is forwarding all the VLAN to the VM, and then the VM will do its own choice of VLAN to set up.
I need a bridge in trunk mode with all vlan ?

Yes I would like to use a tagged trunk on which I would bridge my VMs.

Because what snowman66 is not what I want to do, the VM would just be in access "mode" on this interface.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!