Mac OS X as a Guest -- Advice needed on how to best deploy some virtual machines

mantisgroove

Nov 19, 2014
Hello all,

You have probably seen posts regarding Mac OS X as a guest before, and I know everyone's probably tired of it being brought up, but I have a unique situation that really makes me wish I could run a few OS X VM's on Proxmox.

My deployment:

Ok, so I have 3 computers that will act has my virtualization hosts. They're actually Apple Mac Mini's. Quad Core i7 CPU's (3615QM Ivy Bridge 2.3GHz with Hyper-Threading Support), 16GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro. They should be more than adequate for my workload.

So, the VM's I need to run are as follows: 5 MySQL Servers running on Ubuntu 14 LTS, 2 Windows 2008 R2 Servers, 1 Windows 10 vm, Approximately 20 Tomcat/Apache web servers, and 3 Mac OS X VM's.

What I would LOVE to do is set up a Proxmox Cluster so that I can run the Windows & OS X instances under KVM, and utilize OpenVZ for my Tomcat/Apache web servers (I think this would REALLY help with resource allocation vs. full machine virtualization for each of the 20). But, I've never had any luck whatsoever getting OS X to run on Proxmox. I've tried countless times, and it just fails, fails, fails.

I'm currently running ESXi as the hypervisor on all 3 Mac Mini's (which can host OS X, Windows, or Linux VM's with no problem, but the resources utilization of the Tomcat servers is just really, way too high than is ideal.

So 1st and foremost if ANYONE can give me detailed, and explicit instructions that actually WILL get Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite running on Proxmox version 3.4 I would be eternally grateful. In fact, if you have this working on your system PLEASE post a template for me. ATTENTION: I AM NOT suggesting any intellectual property rights, or licensing be violated. What I'm suggesting is that someone get their OS X 10.10 KVM system running perfectly on Proxmox, then cleanly shut down the OS until the VM is stopped. Then use vzdump to create a perfect backup of the virtual machine (which I believe will be contained in a single tar file?). Then, before posting it here, un-tar the backup, delete the VM disk file itself (VMDK, or whatever format you're using) and replace it with a 0k placeholder (just run "touch filename.vmdk" or something so that it is apparent exactly what the filename was, and where in the hierarchy the file was). Then, after you have DELETED THE actual virtual disk file that contained OS X, re-tar the file back up and post it up on here.

This should NOT be violating anyone's terms or intellectual property because Mac OS X would absolutely NOT be contained in the posted tar file. However, someone like me, who has man Mac systems, with legal licenses to OS X, who actually plans to be running these VM's directly on Apple Hardware would be able to actually get this working. I could just grab the vmdk from a working OS X 10.10 system in one of my VMware virtual machines probably, maybe needing to convert it.

If someone could do this, that would be amazing. But, for whatever reason, I always feels like this is just NEVER going to happen. SO......

In that case, how about my 2nd idea: to install a single Proxmox instance onto each of my 3 Mac Mini's running ESXi. Have all 3 Proxmox VM's tied together as a cluster. Having most of my Mini's resources assigned to the Proxmox VM's. Then, running my OS X, and Window Servers in VMware VM's on the ESXi layer. BUT, running all my Tomcat, Apache, and even MySQL servers as OpenVZ servers on the Proxmox cluster.

Is this something that could actually work with good performance in a production environment? I know it'll actually work technically, I've done it a few times as a proof of concept, but never had time to do any real benchmarking, and certainly haven't done it in production yet. Could this work? It just seems like getting those 20 Tomcat systems into OpenVZ would make all the difference in the world as far as my overall cluster performance.

So proxmox lovers... someone... anyone.... please save the day and give me the magic OS X keys to the kingdom!@! =)

Thanks all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!