LXC VMs / Packet loss weirdness

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
I'm running a 'current latest' proxmox (OVH Server stock install) 5.2-7 which has about 10 x LXC VMs on the physical host. Initially it was setup with ~5 VMs and then I added 6 more roughly a week ago. 5 of the 6 new VMs were deployed using a template/copy made from a slightly older proxmox5 host the client has at their office; the idea was to have 5 x identical copies as starting point / in terms of the VM content and then customize them so they all run in parallel but doing more or less the same sort of thing.

Network is setup in what I call the 'typical OVH proxmox way'
-- there is a dummy interface
-- setup with vmbr1
-- and I've got 192.168.95.1 as the private IP associated on proxmox hardware node
-- and LXC Vms are with an eth interface into vmbr1, and use 192.168.95.1 as their gateway. The proxmox physical host does NAT firewall so that the LXC VMs can get 'internet access' (ie, download updates etc) easily, but there is no access to the 192.168.95.0/24 network from the public internet / except for when I add port forwarding rules on the physical proxmox node.
-- this works easily and consistently, I have found in the past.

I've got intermittent weird and frustrating behaviour. In that networking for 5 of 6 new VMs spun up last week - simply times out - some of the time. So for example,

- ping from physical node, to 192.168.95.111 (first of the 5 new~identical VMs created) - takes about 10 seconds .. then it works fine. Try again, it may work fine, or maybe punishes me with 5-10 seconds waiting, then works fine.
- ping to any of the 'older' VMs (192.168.95.2,3,4 for example) from the physical host - always works fine
- similarly, ping from inside older LXC Container with IP 192.168.95.2 - to any of the other 'older' VMs (192.168.95.3,4 or the proxmox physical at 192.168.95.1) - always works fine / no issues observed.
- but ping from inside this one to the new containers - can give me grief, the same sort of pause, 5-10 seconds, then works.

The 5 new VMs were all CentOS bases / while all the rest I'm using are either ubuntu or debian. But in theory I don't believe it should really matter what the distro is for the LXC containers.(?!)

If it was a pure simple firewall issue, I would expect pings to <work> or <not work> but not to exhibit this kind of .. pause .. partial fail .. then success .. sort of behaviour.

Sample of fail might look like this:

Code:
root@outcomesmysql:/var/log# ping 192.168.95.111
(waiting about 5 seconds, then we get....)
PING 192.168.95.111 (192.168.95.111) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.95.111: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.052 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.95.111: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.052 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.95.111: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.042 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.95.111: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.061 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.95.111: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=0.054 ms
^C
--- 192.168.95.111 ping statistics ---
11 packets transmitted, 5 received, 54% packet loss, time 10224ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.042/0.052/0.061/0.007 ms

For reference, my physical proxmox has config thus for network,

Code:
root@ns508208:/etc/network# cat interfaces
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address  192.168.95.1
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports dummy0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.95.31.XX
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.95.31.254
        broadcast  192.95.31.255
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        network 192.95.31.0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
        address  XXXX:5300:0060:2e47::
        netmask  64
        post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add XXXX:5300:0060:2eff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev vmbr0
        post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add default via XXXX:5300:0060:2eff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del default via XXXX:5300:0060:2eff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del XXXX:5300:0060:2eff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev vmbr0

root@ns508208:/etc/network#

and for reference, here are a couple of reference LXC VM Config files to illustrate their setup,

First one that is older and working fine:

Code:
root@ns508208:/etc/pve/lxc# cat 100.conf
#Nginx web proxy public facing VM
#
#ubuntu 16.04 LXC template
#4 vCPU / 4gb ram / 32gb disk
#
#TDC may-17-18
arch: amd64
cores: 4
hostname: nginx
memory: 4096
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,gw=192.168.95.1,hwaddr=B2:AA:DB:39:8D:6E,ip=192.168.95.2/32,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,size=32G
swap: 4096

and for a newer one which exhibits the pain/frustrating network behaviour:

Code:
root@ns508208:/etc/pve/lxc# cat 111.conf
#192.168.95.111%09outcomes-1
#setup aug.16.18.TDC
#
#OLD LAN IP ORIGIN VM%3A 10.10.40.220
arch: amd64
cores: 2
cpulimit: 1
hostname: outcomestest1.clientname.com
memory: 2048
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,gw=192.168.95.1,hwaddr=FA:A7:77:AA:AA:02,ip=192.168.95.111/32,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: centos
rootfs: local:111/vm-111-disk-1.raw,size=32G
swap: 2048
root@ns508208:/etc/pve/lxc#

I'm curious if anyone has seen this kind of behaviour / has any ideas of things I can try to dig in. It is rather frustrating, rendering the new VMs ~effectively unreliable or at least nearly unusable, because - the VMs need to talk reliably to one another for things to work. (Or at very least talk to their gateway, the physical proxmox node IP 192.168.95.1) for port forward traffic to not stall and time out.

Many thanks for reading this far/ and any comments suggests pointers are greatly appreciated.

Tim

Oh what fun, I was digging into this some more, and figured I should post my reply here, in case I will make the same mistake in a year or so after losing my brain again / or possibly someone else in similar boat will find the hint and take a look.

It appears that restore the 5 x VMs running CentOS from the backup, they all got the identical MAC address for their ether interface. So it was not exactly a big surprise that ping behaviour among:between these hosts was erratic. Because of 5 x hosts with identical MAC but different IP. So tons of fun.

Once I adjusted them to all have slightly different MAC address for their virtual eth interface, things are quite amazingly much happier, ie, problem disappears as if by magic. Or something.

Great fun.

Anyhow, hopefully someone else finds this and will make a shorter path to the resolution than me.

Tim

Oh what fun, I was digging into this some more, and figured I should post my reply here, in case I will make the same mistake in a year or so after losing my brain again / or possibly someone else in similar boat will find the hint and take a look.

It appears that restore the 5 x VMs running CentOS from the backup, they all got the identical MAC address for their ether interface. So it was not exactly a big surprise that ping behaviour among:between these hosts was erratic. Because of 5 x hosts with identical MAC but different IP. So tons of fun.

Once I adjusted them to all have slightly different MAC address for their virtual eth interface, things are quite amazingly much happier, ie, problem disappears as if by magic. Or something.

Great fun.

Anyhow, hopefully someone else finds this and will make a shorter path to the resolution than me.

Tim
I'm having the exact same symptoms, but none of my containers share a mac address as far as I can determine. How did you find your duplicate mac addresses? In my experience duplicating a template container, it will automatically generate a new mac address if you leave it blank. Maybe that's a new feature.

Hi, if the containers are LXC based in stock config, they will have a MAC address, which should be visible if you drill into the 'networking' category of the LXC Container of the webUI. I believe the default behaviour is that restore-from-backup will NOT change the MAC address / randomize to create new; while create a new LXC VM from a 'template' WILL create a new MAC by default.

sample is attached to show location of MAC address in a proxmox (5.x) test box to illustrate:
sample lxc network tab.PNG

in this case MAC Address for the VM is ( e2.de.f0.10.truncated......etc)

hope this helps,

Tim

Hi, if the containers are LXC based in stock config, they will have a MAC address, which should be visible if you drill into the 'networking' category of the LXC Container of the webUI. I believe the default behaviour is that restore-from-backup will NOT change the MAC address / randomize to create new; while create a new LXC VM from a 'template' WILL create a new MAC by default.

sample is attached to show location of MAC address in a proxmox (5.x) test box to illustrate:
View attachment 22357

in this case MAC Address for the VM is ( e2.de.f0.10.truncated......etc)

hope this helps,

Tim
Thanks for the help. I went through and deleted all of the mac addresses and forced new ones, but my issue still persists. One container (based on Ubuntu 18.04) has some very strange and inconsistent networking behavior I hoped was just a duplicate mac, but that's not the case apparently.

Hi, I would suggest, provision a new clean LXC Container from a vanilla / stock template. See if problem persists there. Try to isolate issues / make a positive vs negative control / see if problem appears to be at proxmox level vs guest level. etc.

just a thought. is what I would try next..

Experiencing this kind of packet loss myself for one container and there is no duplication of MACs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!