lxc template upload speed slower than host or another lxc container

yaboc

Renowned Member
Nov 13, 2012
hi
i have proxmox in dc and did some speedtest-cli runs. all with public ips assigned, all up to date

host
621/168Mbit/s

lxc deb9 template
633/170Mbit/s

lxc deb8 template
584/86Mbit/s

also have w10 kvm with virtio just for comparison
701/319Mbit/s

none of the interfaces have set rate limit

multiple runs were done and the avg stayed the same. would there be a reason why deb8 especially upload get's cut in half ? i tried getting new MAC for the lxc interface facing internet with same result. i spun up another deb8 lxc container just to see and indeed the speed was similar to my original run on deb8. any ideas? thanks

Last edited:
hi
i have proxmox in dc and did some speedtest-cli runs. all with public ips assigned, all up to date

host
621/168Mbit/s

lxc deb9 template
633/170Mbit/s

lxc deb8 template
584/86Mbit/s

also have w10 kvm with virtio just for comparison
701/319Mbit/s

How did you make the speed test? Just verified it with iperf3 - no significant differences at all between host or lxc encountered.

How is the result when using LAN (instead of public IPs)?

Richard i used speedtest-cli to test the bandwidth. i didn't run any testes between the containers.

@yaboc it's very likely to get different provider for each tests you run speedtest-cli.

i suggest, select a dedicated server; run
Code:
iperf -s

on the test machines
Code:
iperf -c <ip of your server> -m -i 2

.. and compare the results

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!