LXC tagged vlan configuration

kirbstomp

Oct 10, 2017
Obligatory: new to proxmox, and trying to understand networking.

TL;DR: container needs to look like it has:

IP = 12.34.56.778 /28 with VLANid=1000,
gateway = 12.34.56.777 to the pfsense router for unfiltered internet access (plex server).​

Simplified setup:

internet > pfsense > proxmox node > container (plex)

more detailed setup:

internet > pfsense address allocated for my use [wan gateway 12.34.56.777, WAN_BR IP 12.34.56.778 /28, VLANid=1000] > proxmox node [physical nic of interest = enp12s0] > ct101[veth = eth0]

*Note: the default bridge (vbr0) is already created and working on a different physical interface (enp6s0) on the node, connected to the LAN on pfsense.

Details:

The primary pfsense router is configured to use transparent bridging, a wan bridge (WAN_BR), and tagged vlans. I was given a WAN_BR IP address with corresponding subnet mask (basically a DMZ), that I thought would allow me to connect a container directly (unprotected) to the internet. Upon looking at the rules set for this IP address, it appears they are all set correctly.

I need to connect my lxc container directly to the web via the WAN_BR IP, subnet, and vlan tag. I think i have tried every configuration and haven't gotten anything to work, and I haven't found a whole lot of information with tagged vlans in containers.

I'd be very grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction, with some insight as to how it is working.

What I thought would work was this:

pve node config
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp6s0 inet manual

iface enp7s0 inet manual

iface enp11s0 inet manual

iface enp12s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  ip.of.pve.node
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports enp6s0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1000
iface vmbr1000 inet manual
        bridge_ports enp12s0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_vlan_aware yes

ct101 config (web interface):

eth0, bridge=vmbr1000, firewall=no, vlantag=1000, ip=12.34.56.778 /28, gateway=12.34.56.777

Does the bridge need an ip and gateway address? Or just the container? Both? And why/why not?

Is this possible under proxmox?

For what it's worth, there is another plex server on the same network using the same setup under vmware (in a VM) and it works flawlessly. I am trying to reproduce this using proxmox and an lxc container.

Thanks in advance

on which kind port is connected the enp12s0 device of your bridge vmbr1000 ?

is that a trunk port ? ( ie the port becomes all frames )
in that case it is enough to add the VLAN id to the container net0 config

is the port assigned to the VLAN 1000 ?
then you should not need to do anything

as far as I understand your setup you don't want to have an IP adress on vmbr1000

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!