LXC printer passtrough

mrdarkenrahl

Jul 20, 2021
Hello,
I want to use my old HP P1005 printer as CUPS network printer. I was able to passtrough device to LXC container and everything was working fine using this additonal lines in config:
Bash:
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 189:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/bus/usb/004/006 dev/bus/usb/004/006 none bind,optional,create=file

The problem is that the printer stopped to work after restart. I looked into host and I noticed, that this time printer was not under /dev/bus/usb/004/006, but /dev/bus/usb/004/002.
I wanted to use udev to create symlink, but it didn't worked (hp-setup was not able to find printer).
So I was trying to use:
Bash:
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/bus/usb/004/002 dev/bus/usb/004/006 none bind,optional,create=file
but this didn't worked. After changing to
Bash:
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/bus/usb/004/002 dev/bus/usb/004/002 none bind,optional,create=file
it finally started working.

Can someone explain it to me, why those paths have to be the same on host and guest? I was thinking, that path on guest can be different than on host. Second question - why it was not working with symlink? I expect, that this will be something similar, but first I'd like to understand, why names on host and quest have to be the same.

Tested on PVE 7.0-11.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!