LXC PermitRootLogin

MacFresno

Apr 30, 2017
Hello, I have newly installed Proxmox 4.4 and downloaded your default LXC templates, how can I allow root login by default? I have decompressed the tars, changed /etc/ssh/sshd_config and recompressed it, but the setting is still without-password or prohibit-password.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

What is your template ?
If I understand correctly you create a new template just with one:

Code:
PermitRootLogin yes

In the sshd config

Nono, I've downloaded the ubuntu, debian and centos templates from the panel, and some of them had PermitRootLogin withiut-password, I decompressed these templates, changed PermitRootLogin to yes and re-compressed them, but some are still not working. There is some king of script post-install that could be interfering?

No, actually to make a template you have to create the container. Start it. Make the change from in. Make the backup of it. And transfer it to the templates folder.

Code:
cp /mnt/HDD/dump/vzdump-lxc-date.tar /var/lib/vz/template/cache/
mkdir tmp
tar xvf vzdump-lxc-date.tar -C tmp/
cd tmp
tar zcvf new_name_template.tar.gz .
cp new_name_template.tar.gz ../
cd ..
rm -rf tmp

try this.

No, actually to make a template you have to create the container.

That's wrong. The procedure @MacFresno uses works, I use it regularly with a lot of different containers. It's just a simple chroot environment and uses the roughly the same command sequence as you (@Xilmen) pointed out, yet simpler the cd tmp, cp and cd .. can be omitted if you tar your file correctly - also with -C

Hi all, @MacFresno ,

I am also interested in your solution. Do you have a script file to update automatically templates to do that ?

I am in the same situation; I updated templates with a new "etc/ssh/sshd_config", unfortunatelly, when I deploy a new container with that template, the file still looks like as before the modifications, that is to stay with "prohibit-password" for root. How did you solve this ?

I would like to avoid the @Xilmen solution using dumps.

Best regards
Rémy

edit : ok, after recreating the tarball it works fine. It seems that the tar update did not work fine (the etc/ssh/sshd_config has not been overwrite properly).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!