[LXC] Passthrough USB WiFi adapter?

shawly

Nov 8, 2015
I wanted to use an LXContainer to act as access point for my WiFi with hostapd.

I put these values into the config.
Code:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 189:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb/005/001 dev/bus/usb/005/001 none bind,optional,create=dir

lsusb successfully recognized the WiFi adapter. But it still didn't create the wlan0 interface..
Running lshw -C network also showed, that the WiFi adapter wasn't recognized as network interface.

What did I do wrong? Do I also need another mount?

I also set up a virtual machine where I passed through the WiFi adapter and it worked fine with hostapd as AP. But I really would prefer using a container for this, because of resources and latency since the passthrough of USB devices is much more complex on KVM than it is with LXC.

I wanted to use an LXContainer to act as access point for my WiFi with hostapd.

I put these values into the config.
Code:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 189:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb/005/001 dev/bus/usb/005/001 none bind,optional,create=dir

lsusb successfully recognized the WiFi adapter. But it still didn't create the wlan0 interface..
Running lshw -C network also showed, that the WiFi adapter wasn't recognized as network interface.

What did I do wrong? Do I also need another mount?

I also set up a virtual machine where I passed through the WiFi adapter and it worked fine with hostapd as AP. But I really would prefer using a container for this, because of resources and latency since the passthrough of USB devices is much more complex on KVM than it is with LXC.
Hello,
Have you succed doing wifi AP with LXC?
I would like to make the same (have USB AC adapter) ...

Question: Where can I learn to drive a car?
Answer: Use the bus, that works without driving a car..

In any case seems like using the Physical WiFi device is not yet supported in LXC, but if I don't remember wrong there is some work being done on it (Don't have the sources at hand)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!