LXC CT corrupted after restore from backup

ossvirt

Mar 13, 2013
I've manually migrated a backup file (vzdump-lxc-201-2016_06_15-20_26_26.tar.gz) to another Proxmox server and when I restore it, it is completely broken. All apache logs have disappeared, the MySQL connection won't connect, nothing is working. How can a built-in backup system be this bad? I've repeated it twice because I couldn't believe it. The second time I made sure I stopped the container and set the backup to stop mode but it makes no difference. There must be something I'm missing here, please help!

Reactions: oermolaev
the backup is not corrupted, you missed a setting.

see https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1005

main problem is, that these tools (mysql, apache, etc.) are unable to recreate their log file dirs. as soon as you manually create these dirs, your containers will work again.

but as many are affected by this issue, we already include this again. better would be that these tools would create missing log dirs, but I do not expect this soon so we decided to go this way.

Phew! I'm glad it's easy to fix. Thanks Tom, I'll try this :
for now, the following option has to be enabled in /etc/vzdump.conf:

> stdexcludes: 0

But should I set that option in /etc/vzdump.conf on the machine I make the backup on, the machine I restore the backup to, or both?

on the source machine, of course before you do the backup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!