LXC container - no network on creation

hardly

Oct 23, 2020
I'm running on Proxmox VE (pve-manager/6.3-3/eee5f901 (running kernel: 5.4.34-1-pve).

I'm following this basic guide on making a LXC container.

I'm using the official Proxmox 20.04 Ubuntu template for LXC.

When I connect to the container, I am unable to connect to the network. All pings timeout.

I use the default network configuration, using the Linux bridge (see image).

This issue is related, however pings seem to work once the container has been connected to.

This issue talks about editing /etc/network/interfaces inside the container. However the Ubuntu container by default only has the following inside /etc/network: if-down.d/ if-up.d/.

My expectation is that if I have the LXC configured to connect to the bridge, vmbr0, then it should be able to connect to the network in the same way as VMs are. Is this assumption incorrect, and there's a configuration stage I'm missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210205_171213.png
    Screenshot_20210205_171213.png
    36 KB · Views: 587
In the current configuration your container has no IP configured (since it's set to static but no actual IP and gateway are specified).

If you normally assign IP addresses to your VMs with DHCP, switching the configuration to that should solve the issue.

Reactions: thulium and hardly

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!