upload_2016-5-31_11-44-14.png

Then i've created a VM on this new storage : OK
Snapshots works fine (which was the main goal) but live migration fails :

upload_2016-5-31_11-46-9.png

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Cold migration doesn't work no more :

upload_2016-5-31_13-43-6.png

Seems that lvmthin storage type is not supported ... Any reasons ?

Regards,

lvmthin cannot be mount on 2 servers at the same time (because of metadatas), so it's local only

you need to use classic lvm.
Thanks for your answer !
What a pity ...
It would be a must when using a three nodes cluster with an enterprise class iSCSI array :

[ENTERPRISE CLASS STORAGE ARRAY] <=> [ISCSI LUNs] <=> [THINLVM] <=> [PROXMOX NODES]

This way we could have a "strong" LVM based vms disks allowing snapshots, which IMHO is a lack on Proxmox today.
In "cluster mode", Snapshots are only available with QCOW2 on NFS shared storage (bad performances), CEPH (not very easy to setup and maintain) or specific hardware / software (Omnios, Nexenta, ...)

Regards,

Reactions: Senin and Tmanok
The only way to manage snapshot through issi, is to do it on the iscsi array. If your enterprise array have apis to do snapshot,it could be possible to create a plugin in proxmox. (I'm doing it for netapp for example)

The only way to manage snapshot through issi, is to do it on the iscsi array. If your enterprise array have apis to do snapshot,it could be possible to create a plugin in proxmox. (I'm doing it for netapp for example)

Yes, sure ....
Or maybe, to have something more generic, implementing LVM snaphots on "classic" LVM iSCSI volumes like this :

Create snapshot : lvcreate -L SNAP_SIZE -s -n SNAP-LV1 /dev/VG1/LV1
Remove snapshot : lvremove /dev/VG1/SNAP-LV1 -f
Revert snapshot : lvconvert --merge /dev/VG1/LV1

Regards,

Yes, sure ....
Or maybe, to have something more generic, implementing LVM snaphots on "classic" LVM iSCSI volumes like this :

Create snapshot : lvcreate -L SNAP_SIZE -s -n SNAP-LV1 /dev/VG1/LV1
Remove snapshot : lvremove /dev/VG1/SNAP-LV1 -f
Revert snapshot : lvconvert --merge /dev/VG1/LV1

Regards,

classic lvm snapshot are too slow. it's really slowdown things. (It's just ok to take a snapshot, do a backup, delete snap for example)

classic lvm snapshot are too slow. it's really slowdown things. (It's just ok to take a snapshot, do a backup, delete snap for example)

You mean that "lvconvert --merge" will be too slow that's it ?
It's a pity ...

BTW, does your Netapp storage plugin will be merged in the main Proxmox branch ?
It should be interesting for our future SAN choices ....

Regards

You mean that "lvconvert --merge" will be too slow that's it ?
It's a pity ...
I mean, If you have created a snasphot on classic lvm, the write/read performance will be 2 or 4x slower.
(and for each new snapshot, performance decrease).
This is because they are no metadata, so lvm need to read each snasphot to find the good version of the block.

BTW, does your Netapp storage plugin will be merged in the main Proxmox branch ?
It should be interesting for our future SAN choices ....
Not in the main branch (because proxmox team don't have netapp hardware to maintain it),
but I maintain a github
https://github.com/odiso/proxmox-pve-storage-netapp

(I'll update it soon to last proxmox 4.2)

Reactions: Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!