Spazio

Jun 28, 2016
Hi all,
I'm from another world of virtualization system and I decided to give proxmox a try last week. Oh boy I'm kind a lost. I downloaded the 4.2 iso installer and took an old server and launch it!

I'm usually able to decide how my hard drive is going to be partitionned and I'm working with debian. So I kind a assume I had control over what would be done. To my suprise, I was not. The system partitionned the drive like this:
231 gb hd
57 gb /
8 gb swap
166 - lvm-local

Since I wanted all the space on the root partition to be able to transfert some qcow2 vm on the /var/lib/vz partition. That is 2 vm of 100gig each. I went ahead and restarted the hole thing after a couple of hours reading the forum and install docs.

So i read :
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debugging_Installation#Boot_options
maxvz and the other parameter and reinstalled a couple of times.

Then I came across:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/dev-pve-data-not-mounted-after-fresh-4-2-install.27220/

Where it says that with 4.2 the prefered choice for vm hd is lvm.
!!!BUT I DON'T WANT LVM!!!

Is there a way to just have a root partition with all the available hard drive space?
215 gb / root partition
16 gb swap
Thant's it - no lvm partition - it will be from the ISCSI san on the network !

Thanks universe for not making me live in a microsoft/apple only world!!! Where I can decide what's best for myself...

Yes, that is one way to do it!
I was just hoping that the iso installer would have the option somewhere...
I guess that's how I'll get what I want!

Thanks
Spazio

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!