LVM newbie needs some help

Alternativende

Renowned Member
Aug 27, 2015
Hello guys,
i have been using Proxmox now for quite a while in a few small setups. Now im doing a new installation on a brand new server with 6.55TB of disk space with the recent version.

Im very confused about this new lvm-thin thing, i have read the wiki pages about it but still im confused.

My goal with this new server is to migrate quite a few VM´s from older server´s to it. There are server running Windows 2k8 to 2k16 in RAW and some as qcow2, as well as a few Linux machines.

I really don´t know if i need this whole LVM thing or not , because i need to make snapshots from time to time and i also have to make backups from VM´s and so on.

Are there any big disadvantages if i would use a simple ext4 partition mounted to /var/lib/vz as i did the years before?

And if not, how do i do this?

generally lvmthin is closer to the hardware than a big file on a filesystem

because i need to make snapshots from time to time and i also have to make backups from VM´s and so on.
this all works with lvm thin

Are there any big disadvantages if i would use a simple ext4 partition mounted to /var/lib/vz as i did the years before?
you cannot make snapshots for raw files and this is the only way to have containers on a directory storage
on lvmthin also containers can be snapshotted

Hi,
thanks for you reply. Ok then i guess i have to go with lvm thin. Could you recommend a How To to getting started?

I have read this (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(LVM)) and did the steps as requested.

As far as i understood i have to create a LV after the default installation of Proxmox, in my case this would be on sda3 and the size would be around 6.15TB. I have done this and I could access this storage when i was trying to create a new test VM.

The thing that confused me was that Proxmox created two folders under /var/lib/vz that do not match with the folders on the "old" Proxmox. The first VM i was trying to migrate is saved under /var/lib/vz/images/VMID/VMdisk.qcow2. On the new Proxmox i just have:

Code:
/var/lib/vz# ls
dump  lost+found  template

instead of:

Code:
:/var/lib/vz# ls
dump  images  private  root  template

What i gonna have to do?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!