LVM Group harms discs to spin down

jx7

Nov 1, 2012
Hello,
i'm using Promox as a home server therefore I have (and want) to look for power consumption. I have the Setup running since 2.0 RC and had the discs spindown after some idle time. That worked very well for half a year. This week I updated to 2.2. and did some modifications. I had to figured out that the discs do not spin down anymore. First of all nothing to do with the update :), but it took me some time to figure out why.

With my modifications I have added a LVM partition to analyse if this helps with KVM DISC IO performance. And this seems to be the root cause. With adding of the LVM partition to Proxmox vgs is triggered regularly and as my other disc are also lvms there wake up also.

Could anyone prove my analysis. Is there any way to overcome this problems?

I used this tool to identify the problem ftp://csdread:csdread@ftp.qnap.com/NAS/spindown/blkdevMonitor.sh

maybe someone has/had the some issue.

Jx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!