Lost link on Dell r720xd with Intel driver (Proxmox 2.2)

P

pstoneman

Hi folks

Last night, I upgraded my cluster to Proxmox 2.2. It's running on a pair of Dell r720xd's, with the Intel 4x1GigE card (8086:1521). eth2 and eth3 are linked via two crossover cables between the nodes, and they're running a bond interface in balance-rr for the drbd sync.

A couple of hours later, after I'd gone home, I see this in syslog: kernel: igb: eth3 NIC Link is Down, followed 20 minutes later by kernel: igb: eth2 NIC Link is Down. Obviously, drbd then fell over and the world generally ended. mii-tool showed no link on one of the ethernet interfaces, the other one detected 100Mbit half duplex! After rebooting the machines, everything came back without a fault. There's no reason at all they should have lost link, they're connected by two separate crossover cables each of about 1m length!
There's nothing weird in the OMSA or iDRAC log, and there's nothing else in syslog/dmesg to indicate why the kernel decided to shut an interface down.

Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened? Or any avenues I can investigate?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!