Long delay using 'showmount' | timeout using NFS

Simon1988

May 19, 2018
Hello,

I got a small cluster at home with two Proxmox 5.2 nodes. They are connected via 1GB/s LAN.
On node 1 I installed nfs-kernel-server and tried to share a simple test folder.

1) When I use showmount on node 2 as root to display shares on node 1 the results are correct, but it take minutes to complete the request.

2) When I use showmount on my regular PC (same LAN) as a normal user (not SUDO) the correct results appear in less than a second. When I try the same thing as root it takes minutes to complete.

3) When I try to mount a share from node 1 to node 2 I get a timeout.

Code:
root@pve-node-02:/mnt# mount -vvv pve-node-01:/test/share /mnt/Test/
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sat May 19 12:58:37 2018
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'vers=4.2,addr=192.168.178.100,clientaddr=192.168.178.101'
mount.nfs: mount(2): Connection timed out
mount.nfs: Connection timed out

Any ideas? I try to figure out what the problem is for two days now.
Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: I replaced my managed Cisco switch with a cheaper one with no web interface and control stuff and everything works fine. Any idea what kind of option I need to turn on or off in den Cisco switch to get the same behaviour as with the cheap one?

Last edited:
Hi,

it is hard to say what is wrong but I would sniff packages on the NFS server to see what you get and what you send.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!