Login to CLI and GUI are not working after reset and reboot

gdanielnelson

Oct 28, 2012
PA
Proxmox 2.1 was installed and VMs created, working for weeks in lab.

Sent to client and could not login anymore.

Did the GRUB single user boot, mount, passwd and was able to login to CLI.

Rebooted and can no longer login to CLI or GUI.

If I have physical access to the box, how am I suposed to reset the root password and is it then synced with the GUI authentication automatically?

Need some help so we don't have to completely reinstall.....

Proxmox 2.1 was installed and VMs created, working for weeks in lab.

Sent to client and could not login anymore.

Did the GRUB single user boot, mount, passwd and was able to login to CLI.

Rebooted and can no longer login to CLI or GUI.

If I have physical access to the box, how am I suposed to reset the root password and is it then synced with the GUI authentication automatically?

Need some help so we don't have to completely reinstall.....
Hi,
password for gui and cli-login is the same (pam/shadow).
Any errors from the bad logins before in syslog/messages if you boot to single-user?
Is the keyboard right? (do you have special character in the PW?

Udo

Hi,
password for gui and cli-login is the same (pam/shadow).
Any errors from the bad logins before in syslog/messages if you boot to single-user?
Is the keyboard right? (do you have special character in the PW?

Udo

I will look at the syslog, but regardless of what is there......

Is the proper procedure to 1) boot to single user mode, 2) mount o remount rw / and then 3) run passwd?

Is that all I need to do? Is that passwd also used for the default GUI login as root?

Thanks!

I will look at the syslog, but regardless of what is there......

Is the proper procedure to 1) boot to single user mode, 2) mount o remount rw / and then 3) run passwd?

Is that all I need to do? Is that passwd also used for the default GUI login as root?

Thanks!
Right,
the gui can use different authentications - pam is the normal system authentication (normaly against shadow).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!