Local disks across cluster and their mount points

mo_

Oct 27, 2011
Germany
Hi,

I got a little confused about which would be the correct way to set up the storage and wanted to ask for the proper way to do it.

Situation: Cluster with (currently) 2 active nodes, no HA. both have temporary local raid1 devices for VM storage.

How do I correctly add these two storage devices to proxmox? This is the part of the storage.cfg
Code:
dir: RAID1
        path /RAID1
        content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir,backup
        maxfiles 3
        nodes ox2

dir: RAIDOX1
        path /RAID1
        content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir,backup
        maxfiles 3
        nodes ox1

Now as you can see both have the same mount point on their respective node because otherwise it would be impossible to migrate between the two nodes (since the VE_ROOT path in the ct config remains unchanged)

However, if I now add a container to ox1 and select RAIDOX1 as storage, the CT is created just fine. BUT afterwards under Options, proxmox reports Storage: RAID1, which leads me to believe that this "Storage" value is created in reverse by looking at the VE_ROOT path in the ct config? The result is that I cant start the new CT (which created just fine) because proxmox correctly reports that the storage "RAID1" is not available on ox1.

Whats the correct approach here?

I guess I could technically set both storages to be available on both nodes, but that could lead to confusion and might possibly be unsafe too...?

Last edited:
Now as you can see both have the same mount point on their respective node because otherwise it would be impossible to migrate between the two nodes (since the VE_ROOT path in the ct config remains unchanged)

Why - what is the problem? Normally you just define the RAID1 storage.

It was my understanding that you cannot migrate containers from say /x/vz/root on node1 to /y/vz/root/ on node2 since the path is "hardcoded" into the /etc/pve/openvz/$CTID.conf

You are suggesting only having one storage in proxmox mounted as /RAID1/, "available" to both nodes even though both folders on both nodes have different VMs in them? does that not cause problems?

You are suggesting only having one storage in proxmox mounted as /RAID1/, "available" to both nodes even though both folders on both nodes have different VMs in them? does that not cause problems?

Why? I suggest you simply try.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!