Live Snapshot and disk size

D

dutangp

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently using the last version of Proxmox cause I'm interested about the new feature live snapshot.

I have doubts about how these live snapshots works about the size of the virtual disk that I find in ./images/###.

Basically I set a virtual disk at 30Go for an ubuntu virtual machine, with a machine with around 10 snapshots the real size of the virtual disk (qcow2) is around 100Go. I really don't understand how all the snapshots are saved in the virtual disk.

thanks for you help

best,

Hello Dietmar,

I read the document but I'm not sure to understand why I have a big difference between what I declared first for the virtual disk (30Go) and after few snapshots (around 10) qcow2 is around 100Go.

It's a huge difference!!!

Thanks for your help

best,

Hello Dietmar,

I read the document but I'm not sure to understand why I have a big difference between what I declared first for the virtual disk (30Go) and after few snapshots (around 10) qcow2 is around 100Go.

It's a huge difference!!!

Thanks for your help

best,

Hi,
when you make a snapshot, it take 0 disc space at the creation time.
Now, all new writes after the snapshot take space. So you can eventually have a snasphot space equal to disk space if you rewrite the full disk.

ok I got it.

So that's means if I make several snapshots with different data inside and I delete a specific snapshot, basically the qcow2 size have to be less right?

cause mine stay in the same size, it's really strange

best,

ok I got it.

So that's means if I make several snapshots with different data inside and I delete a specific snapshot, basically the qcow2 size have to be less right?

cause mine stay in the same size, it's really strange

best,

mmm, not sure about it, maybe only meta-datas are deleted when you delete a snapshot. (it's easy to check, does it take seconds or minutes to delete the snasphots ?).
But If you write new datas, it should overwrites old datas.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!