Little Migrate Bug in combination with Snapshots?

rengiared

Sep 8, 2010
Austria
hi

at the moment i have a new test-environment with 3 old-workstations where i'm playing with ceph (there are a few questions left, but they belong to another thread)

So i have a VM with a fresh installed windows 7 and took a snapshot.
in the meantime i ejected the win7 intalldisc and did a few tests and installs.

now i wanted to test the live-migration from one host to another and got this error:

pve03.PNG

after whondering why and how this appears i looked into the config-file and got it, cause in the snapshot information the iso is still deposited.

Code:
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide0: ceph-test:vm-100-disk-1,size=32G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: test1
net0: e1000=0A:E9:7E:73:F2:18,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
parent: BarelyInstalled
smbios1: uuid=edfb9558-7e9f-459b-b75d-54bca34c00f6
sockets: 1

[BarelyInstalled]
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide0: ceph-test:vm-100-disk-1,size=32G
ide2: iso:iso/en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677710.iso,media=cdrom,size=3052606K
memory: 2048
name: test1
net0: e1000=0A:E9:7E:73:F2:18,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
smbios1: uuid=edfb9558-7e9f-459b-b75d-54bca34c00f6
snaptime: 1414510983
sockets: 1

after editing the config file to "ide2: none,media=cdrom" the migration went through (like a charm even on my low-power test environment, zero loss, just one high ping with about 1000ms! really great)

i don't know how you guys rate this behaviour but i would but a "bug-sticker" on it.
not a big problem cause you can solve it in seconds when you know why, but it took me a few minutes to find out why.

thx and keep up the great work, next thing for me is HA in combination with CEPH

that's not a bug.
iso files mounted on a non shared storage (e.g local disk) cannot be live migrated to another cluster node.

it was mounted at the time the snapshot was taken, but at the time of the migration there was nothing mounted, thats the point i think it's a bug
it will even fail when the iso was on a shared storage but isn't there anymore, cause it' already deleted or whatever
maybe i'm the only one who thinks that at the migration only the actual state should be considered and not maybe a 2 year old snapshot where an image was mounted

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!