Linux VM has no audio when connecting with windows RDP

KingTChoka

Sep 4, 2021
Hello, I have a Linux Mint VM running `xrdp` as a server, and I'm connecting to it with my windows pc using RDP. I cannot seem to get audio working though.
I've tried setting my RDP audio settings to output to local but still no luck. In my VM the only audio options was 'dummy audio'.
Any ideas hints or ideas? I've tried googling but it wasn't much help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought xrandr was a tool for configuring your screen. I didn't know it could act as an RDP server. Usually you use xrdp for that, or one of the various utilities that work with a logged-in session. Basic problem is that X does not know about audio, so you need something separate. Spice is one option, another, if you are actually using xrdp is this:

https://github.com/neutrinolabs/pulseaudio-module-xrdp

Xrdp acts like a Windows Terminal Server, where you don't have to be logged in on the PC to connect to the screen.

ETA: Your session needs to be set up to start a pulseaudio server for this to work.

Last edited:
I thought xrandr was a tool for configuring your screen. I didn't know it could act as an RDP server. Usually you use xrdp for that, or one of the various utilities that work with a logged-in session. Basic problem is that X does not know about audio, so you need something separate. Spice is one option, another, if you are actually using xrdp is this:

https://github.com/neutrinolabs/pulseaudio-module-xrdp

Xrdp acts like a Windows Terminal Server, where you don't have to be logged in on the PC to connect to the screen.

ETA: Your session needs to be set up to start a pulseaudio server for this to work.
You're right, I meant 'xrdp' I'm sorry (fixed above)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!