Linux VM gpu passthrough UEFI shell stuck (SOLVED)

virtual<3

Oct 3, 2017
EDIT: THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED

Hello!

I have GPUs working for windows, but when I try to do same for linux, I get UEFI shell at boot and I'm unable to continue from there. If I go to FS0: -> cd EFI -> cd ubuntu -> grubx64.EFI
Then I can get machine to boot, but restarting will cause same UEFI shell at boot and it's really just not a valid way to get this working.

My current setup is proxmox with latest updates checked today. Everything is working for windows vm so hardware should be fine. I believe this is software/os problem.

EDIT: I have fixed this. For some reason it was looking for boot file in wrong directory. I copy file from wrong dir to the one it was trying to boot from. And now it's working. I've never had boot file in wrong directory by default, but I guess proxmox VM bios is a bit different

Last edited:
did you add an efi disk?
if not, please do, otherwise the boot entries for ovmf cannot be saved

if you did this, create a default efi boot entry via your guest os
(in case of ubuntu this should work with efibootmgr)

I have efi disk. Also I have tried to fix efi boot entry via guest os

i.imgur.com/NNX0K6X.png

This is what I'm getting now. It won't find grubx64.EFI.

the correct location (as you wrote in the first post) is EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!